Wednesday 11 January 2012

News Videos - Top Women's Freestyle Skier In Coma After Crash

In an email to The Associated Press, Peter Judge, CEO of the Canadian freestyle team, confirmed a report in the Toronto Globe and Mail that Burke was in a coma but didn't know what that meant for her ultimate recovery. He told AP he didn't expect any updates until early Wednesday.



Burke missed significant time in 2009 when she landed awkwardly and broke a vertebrae in her lower back. Since healing, she has returned to the top of her game and was scheduled to defend her title at the Winter X Games later this month in Aspen.
Peter Judge, CEO of the Canadian freestyle team, confirmed later in an email to The Associated Press that Burke was in a coma, but he didn't know what that meant for her ultimate recoverWhat I've heard, relatively directly, is that she landed a trick down in the bottom end of the pipe, and kind of bounced, from her feet to her head," Judge told the Globe and Mail newspaper in Toronto. "It wasn't anything that looked like a catastrophic fall, so I'm a bit mystified.
“I think we’re all doing this, first off, because we love it and want to be the best,” Burke said. “But I also think it would’ve been a great opportunity, huge for myself and for skiing and for everyone, if we could’ve gotten into the Olympics. It’s sad. I mean, I’m super lucky to be where I am, but that would’ve been pretty awesome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment