Friday 3 August 2012

London 2012: Siblings record in Manaudou's 50 free French win

Frenchman Florent Manaudou joined his sister Laure as the first champion siblings in Olympic swimming history with a shock victory in the men's 50m freestyle final on Friday.

Manaudou, 21, the younger brother of the former Olympic women's 400m freestyle champion, hit the wall in 21.34secs to win the furious one-lap dash.

Laure Manaudou, the first Frenchwoman to win Olympic swimming gold when she captured the 400m freestyle crown in Athens in 2004, rushed out on to the pool deck to hug her brother.

"My sister has given me her full support in my Olympic dream and said if I needed her, she would be there for me," said Manaudou, the youngest swimmer in the final.

"We didn't say much, there weren't many words when we hugged, but we understand each other.

"My sister told me she is very proud of me. Maybe she is passing the baton to me, and I'm more stressed when she is swimming than when I am."

It was France's fourth gold medal in the pool, their best performance at an Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment